Spain is one of the most diverse wine producing nations on earth and enjoys more hectares of vineyards than any other country in the world. Yet there is so much more to discover!
You’ll enjoy an entertaining day of wine education and enjoyment together with an amazing wine and food pairing experience in The Private Dining Room at Restaurant 1539 overlooking Chester Racecourse with Cheshire wine presenter and columnist, Richard J Smith.
Richard will welcome you with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine. Find out more about Gusbourne here.
There’s a four course gourmet lunch with a different glass of wine selected to pair with each course. Learn all the basics of wine tasting (find out what all the swirling and sniffing tells you about) and much more!
You’ll taste 12 different wines over the course of the day and pick up our top tips on ordering in a restaurant and how to choose your wines to serve at home and much much more. In the latter part of the day you’ll get to try your hand and wine blending. Your bespoke wine tasting notes book is there for you to follow during the day and of course take home with you. Expect a great selection of quality wines, all of which will be sourced from our favourite local stores.
What to expect from your afternoon out at wine school:
- 11:30 Arrivals and introductions with a glass of our House fizz, The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine to welcome you.
- 11:50 How to taste wine: learn what all the swirling and sniffing tells you about.
- 12:00 White wine workshop: discover the aromas and flavours of wine and try four different white wines before lunch
- 12:45 Label talk: what does all the jargon on a Spanish wine label mean? Does the bottle shape make a difference? Cork or screw cap? All your questions answered!
- 13:00 Find out about the wine regions around Spain and the most popular Spanish grape varieties and a few that are lesser known.
- 13:10 An introduction to food and wine pairing.
- 13:15 Lunch: a different Spanish wine chosen to match each course. (select the menu bar below to read your menu for the day)
- 14:30 Take a breather for coffee or tea in the lounge with our compliments as we prepare the private dining room for the afternoon red wine selection.
- 14:50 Discover how to identify the different styles of red wines from light to medium to full-bodied and how varied they can be in looks, on the nose and of course on the palate. Your food and wine pairing experience continues as we share our cheese selection with you to try with the four red wines you’ll be enjoying.
- 14:55 Discover how wine is made and how to identify faults
- 15:10 Blending workshop: Single grape varieties or a blend? Find out the difference and learn how to create a wine blend
- 15:40 Pick up our top tips on choosing your wines to serve at home and how best to store them as well as how to negotiate a restaurant wine list.
- 16:00 Enjoy your final red wine tasting of the day
- Throughout the day you’ll discover the best local stores for quality wines at prices that won’t break the bank
- We expect to finish at around 4.30pm.
Timings are approximate and subject to change