Christmas food and wine is always a highlight of everyone’s calendar. We can slave away for hours creating some gourmet treats for friends and family yet the wrong wine choice can mean all those wonderful dishes won’t be fully appreciated. Our ‘A Taste of Christmas” food and wine pairing afternoon highlights some amazing wines that are perfect for pre Christmas parties as well as some real treats that are an ideal match for the big day itself. Join us for some seasonal inspiration to assure your December celebrations are a complete success!
You’ll enjoy a fabulous wine and food pairing experience at Restaurant 1539 overlooking Chester Racecourse with Cheshire wine writer and presenter, Richard J Smith.
Richard will welcome you with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine. Find out more about Gusbourne here.
There’s a four course festive gourmet lunch with a different glass of wine selected to pair with each course. Learn all the basics of wine tasting (find out what all the swirling and sniffing tells you about) and much more.
You’ll taste 6 different wines over the course of the afternoon, all of which are sourced from our favourite local retailers and represent excellent value for money. Of course we don’t sell any wine so your bespoke wine tasting notes book is there for you to use during the day and take home with you: a handy reference should you wish to visit any of the wine stores we’ve used at a later date.
What to expect from your afternoon out at wine school:
- 12:30 Arrivals and introductions in The Roof Lounge with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine to welcome you.
- 12:50 An introduction to food and wine pairing.
- 13:00 Lunch: a different quality wine chosen to match each course of your festive lunch. (select the menu bar below to read your menu for the day)
- 14:30 Take a breather for coffee or tea with our compliments as we prepare for the afternoon red wines.
- 14:50 Your food and wine pairing experience continues as we share our cheese selection with you to try with the final two red wines you’ll be enjoying – these will be ideal for your Boxing Day dining or seasonal entertaining.
- We expect to finish at around 3.30pm when warm mulled wine will be served as a perfect finish to a festive afternoon out with wine school.
Timings are approximate and subject to change