English Wine Week is a national campaign, designed to raise awareness of English wine across the country. There are a wide range of activities which take place across the country to celebrate English Wine Week and we are proud to be taking part again this year.
English Wine Week starts over Spring Bank Holiday: it marks the start of the tourist season, and the vineyards themselves are waking up to the new growing season – there is plenty to see and enjoy. The Wine School of Cheshire is proud to work closely with Wines of Great Britain (WineGB), over recent years presenting English wines to visitors at RHS Tatton Park. We’re thrilled that the industry has embraced the quality vineyards of Wales into WineGB and as Chester is just a few miles from the Welsh border we are proud to feature both English and Welsh quality wines again at this year’s event which runs together with Welsh Wine Week.
You’ll enjoy a fabulous wine and food pairing experience in The Private Dining Room at Restaurant 1539 overlooking Chester Racecourse with Cheshire wine writer and presenter, Richard J Smith.
Richard will welcome you with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine. Find out more about Gusbourne here.
There’s a four course gourmet lunch with a different glass of wine selected to pair with each course. Learn all the basics of wine tasting (find out what all the swirling and sniffing tells you about) and much more!
You’ll taste 11 more different wines from England and Wales over the course of the afternoon and we’ll be featuring several wines from our friends at Gwinllan Conwy – our closest commercial vineyard! Your bespoke wine tasting notes book is there for you to use during the day and of course take home with you.
What to expect from your afternoon out at wine school:
- 12:00 Arrivals and introductions with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine to welcome you.
- 12:30 An introduction to English and Welsh wine: Find out more about the 500 vineyards around the UK.
- 12:55 An introduction to food and wine pairing.
- 13:00 Lunch: a different wine chosen to match each course. (select the menu bar below to read your menu for the day)
- 14:40 Take a breather for coffee or tea in the lounge with our compliments as we prepare the private dining room for the afternoon wine selection.
- 15:00 Check in to the private dining room for your wine flight. Discover how to identify the different styles of wine and how the UK climate influences the styles of English and Welsh wines. Your food and wine pairing experience continues as we share our cheese selection with you to try with the red wines you’ll be enjoying.
- We’ll end our afternoon with something special to celebrate the wonderful world of English and Welsh wines.
- We expect to finish at around 4.30pm.
Timings are approximate and subject to change