France is arguably the most famous wine producing country in the world and it’s home to two of the most expensive regions, those being Burgundy and Bordeaux and of course it’s where you’ll find the Champagne region too. Yet there is so much more to discover from exiting regions such as Bergerac, The Languedoc, Alsace and, well, the list goes on!
You’ll enjoy a fabulous wine and food pairing experience in The Private Dining Room at Restaurant 1539 overlooking Chester Racecourse, presented by Richard Smith, founder of The Wine School of Cheshire and wine writer for The Taster Magazine. New for 2018, enjoy a Burgundy Masterclass before lunch.
Also new for 2018, we’ll welcome you with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine:
The original Gusbourne Estate in Appledore, Kent dates back to 1410. In 2004, Andrew Weeber took over the estate with a clear vision and a single goal: to create English sparkling wines that would stand up alongside the very finest offerings from across the globe.
The first vines were planted that year. In 2010 the debut vintages of Gusbourne Brut Reserve 2006 and Gusbourne Blanc de Blancs 2006 were released to critical acclaim. Gusbourne quickly earned a reputation as a producer of outstanding quality wines, with accolades from some of the industry’s most exacting critics.
Winemaker Charlie Holland honed his skills in Australia, Germany, New Zealand and the USA before taking the helm at Gusbourne. With numerous international awards to his name, Charlie has produced some of the most celebrated sparkling wines in the UK and beyond.
Their best-selling wine, Gusbourne Brut Reserve, is a combination of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier which spends a minimum of twenty eight months on lees and three months on cork before release.
There’s a four course gourmet lunch with a different glass of wine selected to pair with each course. Learn all the basics of wine tasting (find out what all the swirling and sniffing tells you about) and much more!
What to expect from your day out with us
- 12:00 Arrivals and introductions with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine to welcome you.
- 12:15 How to taste wine: learn what all the swirling and sniffing tells you about.
- Burgundy Masterclass: before lunch discover more about Burgundy – one of the finest wine regions in the world, you’ll find out what makes this region so special and we’ll taste two outstanding examples from the region.
- 12:55 An introduction to food and wine pairing.
- 13:00 Lunch: a different wine chosen to match each course. (select the menu bar below to read your menu for the day)
- 14:40 Take a breather for coffee or tea in the lounge with our compliments as we prepare the private dining room for the afternoon red wine selection.
- 15:00 Check in to the private dining room for your wine flight. Discover how to identify the different styles of red wines from light to medium to full-bodied and how varied they can be in looks, on the nose and of course on the palate. Your food and wine pairing experience continues as we share our cheese selection with you to try with the red wines you’ll be enjoying.
- Find out about the many wine regions of France and how they differ as well as learning more about the most popular grape varieties. You’ll also learn how to understand all that jargon on all the different wine labels.
- We expect to finish at around 4.30pm.
Timings are approximate and subject to change