You’ll enjoy a fabulous wine and food pairing experience in The Private Dining Room at Restaurant 1539 overlooking Chester Racecourse, presented by Richard Smith, founder of The Wine School of Cheshire and wine writer for The Taster Magazine.
We’ll welcome you with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine:
The original Gusbourne Estate in Appledore, Kent dates back to 1410. In 2004, Andrew Weeber took over the estate with a clear vision and a single goal: to create English sparkling wines that would stand up alongside the very finest offerings from across the globe.
The first vines were planted that year. In 2010 the debut vintages of Gusbourne Brut Reserve 2006 and Gusbourne Blanc de Blancs 2006 were released to critical acclaim. Gusbourne quickly earned a reputation as a producer of outstanding quality wines, with accolades from some of the industry’s most exacting critics.
Winemaker Charlie Holland honed his skills in Australia, Germany, New Zealand and the USA before taking the helm at Gusbourne. With numerous international awards to his name, Charlie has produced some of the most celebrated sparkling wines in the UK and beyond.
Their best-selling wine, Gusbourne Brut Reserve, is a combination of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier which spends a minimum of twenty eight months on lees and three months on cork before release.
Before lunch find out how milk and white chocolate can work with white wines, with each of our wines paired with milk and white chocolates from the Hotel Chocolat collection.
There’s a two course gourmet lunch prepared by Executive Chef Daniel Speak featuring chocolate ingredients with premium red wines to match each dish. Our signature Saturday wine school first and cheese courses have been replaced with chocolate for a truly indulgent afternoon out! After lunch there’s four different red wines to enjoy with the Hotel Chocolat Rare and Vintage collection, made with some of the most sought-after cocoa in the world:
“We are immensely proud to bring these fantastic new couvertures into the heart of Hotel Chocolat. Our blueprint for sustainable cocoa growing teamed with cutting-edge British design and chocolate know-how has enabled us to submerge guests into our world of cocoa. Our new collection bridges the vast disconnect between raw agriculture and fine chocolate, marrying our expertise in both to make some of the world’s best cocoa beans into chocolate that can be enjoyed every day.
Not only is the cocoa butter, milk and sugar in our new range all organic, we have used sugar as sparingly as possible. Cocoa will always be our number-one ingredient, even in milk and white chocolate. Most of the world’s solid “chocolate” is laden with sugar. Flip it over and check the ingredients.”
– Angus Thirlwell – CEO & Co-Founder, Hotel Chocolat
Expect a great wine selection, all of which will be sourced from our favourite local stores, and with a maximum of fourteen guests this will be an intimate dining experience perfect for a winter afternoon out in Chester.
What to expect from your day out with us
- 12:00 Arrivals and introductions with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine to welcome you.
- 12.30 Chocolate and white wine. Can it work? Yes it can! Find out how with our before lunch white wine selection paired with white and milk chocolate from Hotel Chocolat!
- 13:15 Lunch: enjoy two courses featuring chocolate ingredients with matched wines presented by Richard. (select the menu bar below to read your menu for the day)
- 14:45 Take a breather for coffee or tea with our compliments as we prepare for the afternoon wine selection.
- 15:00 Hotel Chocolate Rare & Vintage: enjoy our selection of four premium wines which will be matched perfectly with the Hotel Chocolat Rare & Vintage Collection, made with some of the most sought-after cocoa in the world.
- As always there’s time for any further questions and answers and we expect to finish at around 4.30pm.
Timings are approximate and subject to change