You’ll enjoy a fabulous wine and food pairing experience in The Private Dining Room at Restaurant 1539 overlooking Chester Racecourse, presented by Richard Smith, founder of The Wine School of Cheshire and wine writer for The Taster Magazine.
We’ll welcome you with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine:
The original Gusbourne Estate in Appledore, Kent dates back to 1410. In 2004, Andrew Weeber took over the estate with a clear vision and a single goal: to create English sparkling wines that would stand up alongside the very finest offerings from across the globe.
The first vines were planted that year. In 2010 the debut vintages of Gusbourne Brut Reserve 2006 and Gusbourne Blanc de Blancs 2006 were released to critical acclaim. Gusbourne quickly earned a reputation as a producer of outstanding quality wines, with accolades from some of the industry’s most exacting critics.
Winemaker Charlie Holland honed his skills in Australia, Germany, New Zealand and the USA before taking the helm at Gusbourne. With numerous international awards to his name, Charlie has produced some of the most celebrated sparkling wines in the UK and beyond.
Their best-selling wine, Gusbourne Brut Reserve, is a combination of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier which spends a minimum of twenty eight months on lees and three months on cork before release.
There’s a four course gourmet lunch with a different glass of wine selected to pair with each course. Learn all the basics of wine tasting (find out what all the swirling and sniffing tells you about) and much more!
You’ll taste 9 different wines over the course of the afternoon and pick up our top tips on ordering in a restaurant and how to choose your wines to serve at home. Your bespoke wine tasting notes book is there for you to use during the day and of course take home with you. Expect a great selection of quality wines, all of which will be sourced from our favourite local stores.
What to expect from your day out with us
- 12:00 Arrivals and introductions with a glass of The Gusbourne Estate Brut Reserve Vintage English Sparkling Wine to welcome you.
- 12:15 How to taste wine: learn what all the swirling and sniffing tells you about.
- The Grape Sensation: Find out how the same grape can differ significantly in the way it looks, smells and tastes compared to one from a different region or even a different village from within the same region. How will we do this? By tasting them of course! For today’s tasting we’ll be pitching two wines made with the same grape against each other: one will be from Australia and the other from New Zealand. Which is better? You decide!
- 12:45 Find out about the wine regions of Australia and New Zealand and the most popular grape varieties. You’ll also learn how to understand all that jargon on all the different wine labels.
- 12:55 An introduction to food and wine pairing.
- 13:00 Lunch: a different wine chosen to match each course. (select the menu bar below to read your menu for the day)
- 14:40 Take a breather for coffee or tea in the lounge with our compliments as we prepare the private dining room for the afternoon red wine selection.
- 15:00 Check in to the private dining room for your wine flight. Discover how to identify the different styles of red wines from light to medium to full-bodied and how varied they can be in looks, on the nose and of course on the palate. Your food and wine pairing experience continues as we share our cheese selection with you to try with the red wines you’ll be enjoying.
- Pick up our top tips on choosing your wines to serve at home and how best to store them as well as how to negotiate a restaurant wine list. Learn how to identify faults in wine and why they occur.
- We expect to finish at around 4.30pm.
Timings are approximate and subject to change